I briefly met Quincy Jones (Multi Grammy Arranger/Producer) in Boston, 1983, days before my graduation from Berklee College of Music. He had a meeting with a group of graduating producers, and in a very relaxed environment, he told us many important facts about the Music Business. The one that stuck the most is this: To have a successful Music Album, you need 3 things: A great song, a great song and a great song. He explained that through history, after a great album, usually the next one is either a better one or a flop, even though the artist is the same, and usually the producers are the same. What is the only thing that changed? THE SONGS.
After this eye opening statement, I started focusing on finding the right songs for the artists that I would eventually produce myself. I also started polishing my songwriting, and collaborating with different songwriters and the artists themselves. When the artists I was working with did not have the right songs, we would either write them, or find them from a pool of songwriters that I was involved with.
If you are either an aspiring recording artist or an experienced one, and you are working on a new album, I would recommend you to review your songs and check if they are connected to the audience that eventually will see you perform live. I find this small detail overlooked the majority of the time, and really makes a big difference in the audience response.
In my opinion, the artist should check the songs to be recorded in front of an audience first, to get a real reaction of the people that eventually will buy the music. Sometimes a slight chance of pace in the music makes a big difference.
Also the instrumentation used in the production of the music should be realistic. Make sure that you can easily reproduce the album experience live. If you use a symphonic orchestra in your album, you won’t be able to play those songs live, unless you either hire the orchestra, or you use a “ Performance Track” along with live musicians. I will explain the types of performance tracks in the next blogs.
Hi Paul, I liked it. It is really cool that I can still learn from you. Thank you for sharing your experience!!
ReplyDeleteHi Ana, it's great to hear from you. We all learn from each other! Congrats on your new musical adventure!
DeleteHola paul, recientemente me agregaste a linkedin, gracias.
ReplyDeleteY creo que despues de leer este blog debo preguntarte esto.
¿ si yo soy cantautot o compositor, como logro que un productor exitoso como tu, escuche mis canciones?
Hola Rodi, gracias por escribir. Tienes que preguntarte: Cual es la meta que tengo al mostrar mis canciones? Estoy dispuesto a invertir en mi carrera, contratando un productor musical para que cree una imagen para mi, o solo quiero llegar a artistas que necesitan canciones originales?
DeleteSi quieres contratar a alguien para que ya sea te haga los demos o para trabajar en ti como artista, tienes que decirlo directamente.
Si quieres ser compositor, tienes que enseƱar tus temas ya sea a una casa editora (publisher) o a los artistas directamente.
Saludos,
Paul